Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Work Begins!


So the most enigmatic part of my Peace Corps experience is finally becoming clearer.  I have been placed with an organization for my practicum!  The foundation I am placed with during PST (Pre-Service Training) is called Fokus Foundation.  Fokus Foundation is a non-profit organization (NGO) that describes itself as “supporting local development and democracy based on good Municipal Governance and responsible citizens”.  The main website for the organization is written completely in Macedonian, so I am unable to share any official objectives or projects that the organization aims to accomplish.  However, provided in this post is a site that briefly describes the organization.  I also discovered other sites that describe some of its past projects, including: a movement to make the Veles municipality and surrounding municipalities GMO-free; “Project Pajamas” which raised donations to refurbish the pediatric department of the Veles Hospital; and “We, for our Community,” which organized public debates and workshops to further involve citizens in determining the municipal budget.

Throughout the next 8-9 weeks of PST, I will work with members of Fokus Foundation (as well as with Emily, another PCV in Lozovo) to practice and implement strategies and tools that we learn for Community Economic Development.  All of the skills I learn and practice will be useful once I am permanently placed with my NGO or municipal government after PST concludes.  My first visit to Veles is next Tuesday, so wish me good luck!  To read more about Fokus Foundation, please refer to the sites below.

Official Website- http://www.focus.org.mk

No comments:

Post a Comment