Friday, September 13, 2013

Staging in DC


Today was my first day as a Peace Corps Volunteer!  The day was spent meeting my fellow PCVs and learning about safety and the mission of the Peace Corps.  Overall, the session was laid back and a repetition of aspects already taught and to be discussed again.

So I am packed, but it seems that I have more to carry than my fellow PCVs.  Part of the reason may be that my carry-on is less robust than most, as I am determined to board the plane with only my messenger bag. 

I am providing a list below of all that I packed for the next 27 months.  I hope this helps those who are preparing for service in Macedonia or an East European country.  The limits on luggage are 2 checked bags of 50 lbs., which is larger than warmer climate countries since we must prepare for the winter with bulky, heavy clothing.

Packing List for the Peace Corps

Personal Items
Sleeping Bag-  North Face Cat’s Meow
Quick Dry PackTowel
3X Bandanas
Pack of Cards
Headlamp
Bottle Opener
Money Belt
Pens
Pencils
P90X
2X Workout Bands
Camel Pack
5-Subject Notebook
Pictures of Family and Friends
Gifts for host families

Winter Wear
Winter Coat
4X Long Underwear Bottoms (SAXX)
Scarf
Smartwool Liner Gloves
3X Wool Socks
3X Smartwool Athletic Socks

Footwear
Converse Sneakers
Black Dress Shoes
3X Shoe Laces
Flip Flops
Casual Boots
Hiking Boots

Electronics
VCT Adaptable Power Surge Protector
Phillips Mobile Speaker
AV Cord
Camera Charger
iPod Connect Cable
External Hard Drive
Computer Mouse
Computer Charger


Toiletries
Contact Lenses
Nail Clippers
Trimmers
Razor Heads
Blistex
Airborn Vitamin Tablets
Glasses
Toothbrush
Cologne
Contact Case
Toothbrush
Brush

Apparel
2X Underarmor Top, Coldwear
2X Underarmor Bottom, Coldwear
Crew Shell
Swimming Trunks
3X Waffle Tops
5X Sweaters
6X Casual Collared Shirts
3X Ties
3X Dress Shirts
Dress Belt
4X Pairs of Jeans
3X Pairs of Shorts
8X Casual Socks
3X Dress Socks
9X T-Shirts
4X Pairs of Jeans
1 Pair of Sweatpants
4X Athletic Shorts
4X Athletic Shirts
11X Underwear
3X Athletic Socks
2X Under Shirts
2X Dress Pants
1 Suit Jacket
Running Shoes
Suit Jacket

Travel Pack- 36 lbs.
Suitcase- 46 lbs.

My next 27 months packed into bags

What I wish I could take with me to Macedonia


Also, this was my first time in DC, and it was amazing!  I was able to hang out with some college friends (Keerti, Alex, Max, Aaron, and Ngiste).  DC is an amazing city, and I can definitely see myself moving here after my Peace Corps service. 

Time to head to bed before my flight to Skopje!

No comments:

Post a Comment