Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bon Voyage!


So here I am with my final hours in the USA, at Dulles International Airport.  I think the rest of the new volunteers and I appreciate our ability to finally gain our breaths before we fly out to Macedonia.

Since I have the time, I think I will recap the last couple of days.

Thursday, September 12
This was my first time in Washington DC, and I absolutely loved it!  It definitely felt like DC when I landed.  The temperature was a feels like of 95F degrees  and it was very humid!  I stayed at Anna’s place, and her puppy was adorable!

Even though I only had a few hours to explore the District, I was not left disappointed.  Naturally I first headed to the Washington Monument, which was undergoing construction due to a recent earthquake.  On my way to the Lincoln Memorial the cold front started creeping in, and with it the looming lightning and thunder.  By the time I reached the White House, rain swept across the city, and I was left stranded next to a building under my umbrella.  Luckily I was only soaked below my knees.  The night was spent in East Market with some college friends (Keerti, Alex, Max, Aaron, and Ngiste).

People who had visited cities like New York, San Francisco, or even Chicago often tell me that they feel the energy of the cities, and that energy invigorates them to join the masses of young professionals sacrificing their youth and energy to build their careers.  I finally found that energy in DC.  I have never seen a city with so many people dressed in suits.  I assumed that I would move to DC after my service, since I will probably have the best chance of being employed there upon my return.  But this visit has made me excited to possibly call the city my own upon my return.


Caught in a rain storm!



Friday, September 13
Staging Training!  I was definitely excited for my first day, as I would physically meet my fellow volunteers for the first time and officially start as a Peace Corps Trainee.   Despite my excitement, the day certainly felt a bit challenging, in a Peace Corps sort of way.

With around over 100 lbs. of luggage in tow, I made my way through DC’s Metro to arrive at the Capitol Skyline Hotel.  Once I exited the subway and started the half-mile walk to the hotel, it started to rain.  I never would have imagined that the first impression of me that some of my fellow PCVs would experience was a wet, tired, and disgruntled Chris.  Luckily I arrived to the hotel only half-soaked, and I was able to quickly check into my hotel room.

Despite the great Peace Corps staff, Staging Training could only be described as dull and long.  Staging started with the signing of our Eligibility Forms and Student Loan Deferments, and we immediately began with a ice-breaker event.  Staging proceeded to outline safety guidelines as well as a review of the expectations for PCVs.  The staging was in no way country-specific, which is understandable, but all of our minds were on the almost tangible culture and adventure that lay ahead of us.  Admittedly, even though nothing new was learned, it would have been awkward to start our service without a formal program.

By 7PM we were finished and directed to enjoy the night.  Many of the PCVs headed to the East Market.  Before I could join them, I was informed that the hotel had assigned me to the wrong hotel and that I should move to a different room.  I thus repacked my bags and moved all of my items to one room below.  By that point, I had missed the shuttle by a half hour, and I was worried that I would eat dinner alone.  Luckily a volunteer posted online to meet at 8th street for pizza, and I found my company!  We all enjoyed the night, returned to the hotel, and enjoyed our sleep before the long travel ahead.

At 6AM, our sleep was cut short as the fire alarm shrilled throughout the hotel.  Over half of the PCVs were unable to hear the alarm and thus did not exit the building.  The most comedic aspect of the whole situation was that our Staging Director joined us outside of the hotel with the plane tickets and passports in hand.  We all jested that, had the hotel burned down with all of our stuff inside, we would still be sent to Macedonia with just our pajamas and passports.

Lining outside our hotel to load our luggage



Well, we are an hour away from boarding our 9 hour flight to Vienna and 1.5 hour flight to Skopje.  Bon voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment