Tuesday, September 17, 2013

My First Full Day in Macedonia


Culture shock usually does not strike on the first day, and it certainly did not do so for me today.  My first full day in Macedonia (Monday, September 16) was both eventful and exciting, but I almost feel as if I have been here for a week.

I started the day like all good days are started- with a run!  Vashte and I decided the night before, so we woke up early to fit our exercise into our schedule.  Despite tossing and turning often through the night, I was able to wake up at 5:45AM before the sun had arisen in Tetovo.  Another volunteer, Jake, was already awake due to his inability to sleep, and he decided to join Vashte and me for our run.

By the time we left the school building, sunlight was being strained through the rain clouds and mist pouring off the nearby mountains.  The compound for the Wilson School is quite small, so we asked the guard at the front gate if we could run on the road into the city.  “Може ли да се одиме?”  “Да, да.”  (Can we go out?  Yes, Yes).

So off we went on our own through the streets of Tetovo.  The Wilson school is on the southern outskirts of town, so the road into the city was basically a highway.  It was not very busy, but cars passed us driving at about 35-40MPH, as they would on a country road.  The scariest part of the run was passing small industrial yards that were guarded by big dogs.  They would bark at us as we passed, and some were not chained and were only separated from us by a fence (which they could easily jump over).  We did not run too far into town until we turned back to the school.

Well, this was the first time that I broke a Peace Corps rule.  Once all of the volunteers were rounded together, the staff told us that it was forbidden to walk or jog down the highway due to the dangerous traffic and dogs.  Whoopsie!  They also mentioned that, since the Wilson school is an Albanian school for high school students and younger, alcohol is forbidden on the premises.  I have not broken that rule yet, and I certainly do not plan on it!  I hope that upholding this rule makes up for my oblivious error.

The first day of training in country was tiring.  Still jet-lagged, we enjoyed a cultural presentation by Macedonian and Albanian dancers.  The deputy (?) ambassador then welcomed us to the country and, surprisingly, answered many of our questions.

The Macedonian Dance Group

The Albanian Dance Group

The Us Deputy Chief of Mission addressing our questions.


All of the volunteers looked forward to the language training the most.  The first lesson revolved around learning the Macedonian alphabet.  I was happy to have memorized it before departing, since it is one less challenge to be stressed over.  However, I am in no way arrogant in my language skills- walking around Tetovo with my limited language reminds me of how much I have yet to learn!

In the evening, all of the volunteers were led into the center of Tetovo to explore the city.  We were guided by current volunteers, and our agenda was our own to create.  Carly, a current volunteer, took us to one of her favorite places to order burek.  Burek is an Albanian dish that is very similar to a gyro, only the meat is slightly sweeter.  Afterwards, she led us to a café bar that served both coffee and lunch.  The Скопско (pronounced SKOEP-skoe) beer was refreshing, but in no way special.  Karly was amazing and answered all of her questions about volunteering in Macedonia.  She was very keen on answering questions about living in an Albanian household.  Her host brother, Veznik, also joined us, but he had few words to say (at first he became nervous about our numbers and ran away when he say our big group, but later he changed his mind and joined us for a drink). 

My first purchase in Macedonia- caffeine and caffeine

Doner, Albanian cuisine that is similar to a gyro

Skopsko, one of Macedonia's beers

Our group in Tetovo.  Carly, the volunteer currently serving near Tetovo, is the woman with the pink scarf.  Her host brither, Vesnik, is in the North Face jacket.


My first activity for tomorrow (after breakfast) is a medical review, so I hope all goes well!  Finally, I was happy to discover that both Coke Zero and Haribo gummy bears are sold in Macedonia!  I think I found my American foods of solace.

My American comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment