Friday, July 11, 2014

Haiku

In the latest Pauza magazine, (the PC Macedonia magazine put together by and for the volunteers here), there was a neat article on the YMLP camp.  One of the classes during the camp required each team of campers to write haikus.  They did not share the haikus with us during the camp, so I saw my team's haikus for the first time in the Pauza article.

Unbeknownst to us, each team wrote a haiku about their counselor.  This is what the White Team had to say about me:

Short and slim, he is
Leadership he does show us
Good at it he is

It was very heart-warming, and I take this haiku as one of the greatest compliments that I had received during the my time here in the Peace Corps.  Peace Corps work can be frustrating at times because some of the most impactful work we do here cannot be measured, so we are seldom aware of how we are making a difference.  I do also like how they devised their haiku in a Yoda-like narration.  And I am amused that the first descriptor they could think of for me was "short" (three or four of the other counselors are shorter than I am, but oh well).

Each team also wrote a haiku on Justin Bieber, and here was my team's poem:

Justin has nice voice
He is the best in pop songs
but he still sucks ass

I also liked Blue team's haiku:

Oh my baby, yeah
My hair is so awesome, bro
I got arrested

No comments:

Post a Comment