Thursday, July 24, 2014

Alcohol: In Macedonia and in Peace Corps

This past weekend, Prilep hosted Pivo Fest, or Beer Fest.  It was a 4-day, annual celebration that typically attracts over 100,000 visitors to our small town.  Since discovering that I would live in Prilep, I was both excited for and worried about this festival.  I was happy to know that the town that I lived in commemorated a day to beer and grilled meat.  But I also worried about hosting other PCVs from other towns and protecting my reputation (and the reputation of Americans) within my site.

Before I write a post about what happened this Pivo Fest, I feel like I need to write a disclaimer.  Thus this post serves as that, as well as an overall explanation of the attitude and culture of alcohol and drinking in the Republic of Macedonia, as well as among PCVs.  It is a post that I have mentally prepared to write for my whole service, and it has taken me almost a full year to grasp the drinking culture in this country.

First Impressions
As I was preparing to embark to Macedonia, I had some stereotypes about drinking among Slavic cultures.  Many of us Americans share the same stereotypes- that people from cold climates, like Russia, Ukraine, and Poland, drink liters of vodka each day, especially in the winters to keep warm.  When I first hung out with RPCVs in Chicago, some of them who lived in countries like Georgia and Turkmenistan said that it is expected of men to drink a whole bottle of liquor on nights of hanging out with the locals.  I mentally prepared myself to give my liver a rough beating until it was trained to tolerate as much liquor as these rumors were telling me.

As we arrived to Macedonia, I instinctively avoided drinking too much alcohol among the locals so that I can be more attentive to the language and pick up on subtle cultural cues.  For example, when we first arrived at our training sites, I refused beer or alcohol, and instead drank water, just to make sure that my host family did not think that I drink too much. 

By the time we had our training for alcohol safety at a hub day in Kumanovo, the Peace Corps training staff used their whole arsenal to diffuse any misconceptions we had about the drinking culture in Macedonia.  Overall, they agreed that, yes, Macedonia has a drinking culture.  But it is more of a sipping culture, and it is not the binge drinking culture like the stereotypes may say.  Rakija, wine, or beer are drunk during most meals, and during special occasions, but they are drunk slowly and enjoyed over company.  While men, and sometimes women, are expected to drink during dinner or during special occasions, the HCNs highly disapprove upon binge drinking and of people becoming too imbibed. 

My whole training group in Lozovo wholeheartedly adapted this policy.  Not only did we avoid getting drunk, but we would sometimes go for a walk or hide behind our classroom when we wanted to enjoy one beer with each other.  Lozovo was a small town, and we knew that any mistakes we made when being drunk, or simply by being seen too many times drinking (even with one beer) in the streets may hurt our reputation.  In small towns, word travels faster than the trains.  During my whole time in training, I only got drunk once, and after being too loud while walking in the streets during that moment, I thought my reputation would be ruined in the village (Luckily, it was not.  My PST host mom never even mentioned how silly I was that day).  Similarly, all PCVs looked forward to hub days for the simple fact that we could enjoy more than a couple of beers in the company of Americans.  Hub days were our sanctuary, because we were in a town where people did not know us personally, and even if we became buzzed that evening, by the time our kombi drove us back to our village, the alcohol would have been processed completely within our system, leaving us much more sober, albeit sleepy.

Change in Atmospheres, Change in Perceptions
By the time I moved to my site in Prilep, my perceptions of alcohol and Macedonian culture changed again.  Here I was in a larger city with plenty of young people, and on the first nights that I went out with them, I was acting like an older person in a small village.  Accustomed to drinking slowly, I experienced culture shock as young people would order bottles of wine and beer in order to get wasted in the clubs.  It took me some time to realize that drinking culture depends on the atmosphere in which one lives.  Smaller villages will be more conservative than larger towns, and thus I had to reshape what I thought about drinking culture.

As I started to go out in Prilep or hang out with my counterparts, I started to question what Peace Corps had taught us.  They had prepared us to adapt to the drinking culture in smaller villages and among older adults.  But they did not prepare us to adapt to the drinking culture among younger people in larger towns.  How much am I expected to drink as a man?  How would those expectations change for women?  Of course, one should always be safe and not binge drink.  But how imbibed is acceptable?  And how imbibed do these young Macedonians expect us to be in order to make them feel comfortable around us when they drink?  My counterparts have complained to me many times that I do not get drunk around them, and they promised me that one of these days they will get me drunk.  Peace Corps had never trained me how to prepare against these statements, nor have they clarified whether statements like these are offhand comments, or if they lie deeper into a subsection of the culture within Macedonia.

One of the cheapest things to do in Macedonia
Even though Macedonia has a sipping culture in regards to alcohol, its legal and economic policies regarding alcohol say otherwise.  Alcohol is everywhere (in Christian communities) and is very cheap to attain.  Most families distill or brew their own rakija or wine.  Many families either own or know somebody who grows their own grapes, and in the fall they distill the alcohol for consumption throughout the year.  Below I will give a quick explanation of the types of alcohol most consumed in Macedonia.

Rakija- This liquor is similar to brandy, and it is often distilled using grapes. However, some families experiment by making rakija with plums or other fruits.  There are typically two types of rakija- “white” and “yellow”.  White rakija is the purest form of the liquor, and yellow rakija is infused with bark during the distilling process, giving it its hue and making the drink slightly “smoother”.  Rakija is usually 80 proof, but many families distill it so that it is much stronger.  Rakija is also usually the cheapest alcoholic beverage available at restaurants, costing less than a euro for a shot (to be sipped, of course).

Wine- I really looked forward to drinking the Macedonian wines before arriving in this country, since I really enjoyed drinking a nice glass of dry, red wine on some nights after working in the USA.  Many will say that Macedonia has a burgeoning wine industry, which is somewhat true, especially since wine here can be pretty cheap (an acceptable bottle of Macedonian red wine costs about 2 euros).  However, most of the wine in Macedonia, either professionally created or homemade, is too sweet in my opinion.  Also, most wines are slightly carbonated or fizzy.  Many Macedonians continue to mix their wines, fusing red with cola and white with sparkling water.  I have likewise adapted this practice, mixing red wine with diet cola, since the wine is nothing like a good cabernet sauvignon in the USA, and otherwise is already bubbly and too sweet.

Beer- I have never been disappointed by the beer in Macedonia because I came to this country with low expectations.  It is almost impossible to get any beer in Macedonia that is not a pilsner or a lager.  Beers here are designed to be light and refreshing.  It seems that the Macedonian palette is not designed for hoppy, bitter, or sweeter beers.  Again, buying a bottle of beer is cheap (one can purchase a Zlaten Dab, in my opinion the best tasting beer in Macedonia, for about 2 euros for a plastic 1.5L bottle).  Thus, these light, tasteless beers are designed to refresh and intoxicate.

Our Sweet Escape
Now given all that I described here about the drinking culture in Macedonia, one must be aware of the problems that alcohol poses to the Peace Corps world.  In most countries where PCVs are stationed, alcohol is a major obstacle to a volunteer’s service.  Of course, in some countries alcohol is forbidden (ie. many Islamic countries) or traditionally frowned upon when women consume it.  But most countries experience some sort of incident with PCVs becoming too drunk and making a scene.  For example, a PC staff from HQ once told us that a group of agricultural development volunteers, who were mostly males and recent graduates, had figuratively destroyed their host country (Zambia) through their incessant drinking and drunken romping. 

Even though most PCVs join Peace Corps with good intentions, one can understand how alcohol can be the ideal escape.  As volunteers try to adapt to culture shock, experience difficulties with host families or counterparts, miss family and friends back home, feel isolated in their community, or start to get bored or despondent at their work sites, alcohol may be the only available release for these volunteers. 

PCVs in Macedonia may not experience the isolated, alcoholic-like issues that other PCVs from other parts of the world may face, since we usually have access to wi-fi internet in our places, or since it is relatively easy to leave site and make it to a larger town within a couple of hours.  However, adapting to a new culture, living with host families, and struggling with a slower or different work environment often leads us with urges to relax and throw a few back among other Americans.  Thus, if we decide to binge drink, we will often do so among ourselves in enclosed settings.  We will escape to some apartment, become intoxicated among ourselves, and if we decide to go out, we will choose a club or other loud, dark space where we can blend in with the surroundings. 

Thus, most PCVs in Macedonia have adopted a two-faced approach to alcohol drinking.  Generally, we restrict how much we drink around HCNs and try our best to preserve our reputations publicly.  However, when we get together as a group of Americans, we will secretly indulge in alcohol drinking in order to avoid creating a scene.  We try to simultaneously find an instantaneous escape from our troubles while preserving the reputation of Americans and ourselves in our host country.  In a way, our approach to drinking alcohol is similar to the approach of the average Macedonian youth, since they often stick to binge drinking in the clubs in order to avoid being talked about in the rumor mill that is often Macedonia.  In other words, you will seldom see a Macedonian youth walk around drunk during the day, or get wasted at a family party (ie. at an imenden, or name day event).

So here is where this prelude leads to Pivo Fest.  Pivo Fest is everybody’s excuse to be publicly intoxicated.  One can compare Pivo Fest to Oktoberfest, or for a more local comparison, to the South Side Irish Parade a few years back.  The main square of Prilep is filled with stands of beer and BBQ, and music is playing at every station.  On this holiday, Macedonians release their inhibitions and are more inclined to be publicly intoxicated.  Now do not get me wrong- people are not rambunctious and destroying the city.  However, women are more likely to drink more than a couple of beers in clear daylight, and men are more likely to release their drunken emotions in song and dance as they sit among friends.  And since everybody accepts that this behavior is normal for Pivo Fest, people are less likely to spread rumors that they saw this person or that person get drunk in the center.


So, in the spirit of “When in Rome,” the PCVs who came to Pivo Fest had a grand ole time.  And at this point, I think most readers will understand how unique Pivo Fest is, and that PCVs in Macedonia do not embark on these types of celebrations every week within service.   Pivo Fest is a lot of fun, but it is also an anomaly.   

No comments:

Post a Comment