Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Трескавец

On Saturday, all of us PCVs in Prilep decided to make the long hike to Treskavec, a monastery located near Prilep.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had always wanted to hike to this monstery, so this was a great opportunity to knock another to-do off of my list.

The hike is about 7 km one-way (about 9 miles round-trip), and most of the trail runs high up in the mountains.  The hike itself was gorgeous, yet not too taxing.  But as we arrived to the monastery, I was a bit disappointed.  The monastery had mostly burned down about a year and a half ago, so its remnant was just an charred shell of what it used to be.  I had seen the monastery in a movie (Before the Rain) before coming to Macedonia, so of course my expectations of it did not match what I saw this weekend.  If you are interested in seeing what the monastery looked like before it burned, feel free to watch the following Youtube clip from 6:49 on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9asp7IBqE

I never looked into the history of the monastery, so I cannot share any fun facts about the site.  However, I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Starting from the cross in Varosh

Looking back on Prilep





























Finishing our day with a Krali Marko pizza at Leone





No comments:

Post a Comment