Saturday, May 3, 2014

When Two Become One

No, this post is not about a Spice Girls song.  Instead, it is about the convergence of the two organizations that I work for- Peace Corps and AIESEC.  For the longest time, I had always thought to myself that foremost I was a Peace Corps volunteer.   Overall, I would be a consultant or assistant within my organization, helping to monitor its structure and fill in the pieces where lack of knowledge or skills was evident.  However, after attending the AIESEC Euro LDS conference in Sunny Beach, Bulgaria, my whole mindset on my participation in AIESEC had changed.  After five days of sessions and by meeting young leaders from all around the world, I understand now the importance of AIESEC.  And now my Peace Corps path and participation in AIESEC have become one.  I can no longer maximize LC Prilep’s impact on society without fully adapting the values and practices of AIESEC.  No longer am I simply a Peace Corps volunteer who works with AIESEC Prilep.  I am an AIESECer and a Peace Corps volunteer.

Our physical journey to the conference started on Tuesday morning.  One of my counterparts, Angela, and I left Prilep at 5:30AM on a bus to Skopje.  There we met with two delegates from Skopje, and we boarded a different bus that headed toward Sofia, the capital of Bulgaria.  Luckily for me, I did not need to use vacation days for this excursion because I was traveling out of country with my counterpart.  However, I needed to pay for the transportation and fees for the conference with my own money, but as you will discover later, the costs were worth it.

After an 8-hour bus ride to Sofia, we left our baggage in the bus station and went to the center.  One of my colleagues from Skopje was determined that we first stopped at McDonalds to eat.  It had been months since she had McDonalds because the McDonalds that used to exist in Macedonia were closed about a year ago.  Luckily we were able to find a branch on our way to the center, and I accidentally ordered 9 chicken nuggets and a Big n’ Tasty meal.  Now to be fair, I did not finish ALL of the meal, but I did come close.  However, I did not eat again for another 15 hours, so it was a feast and famine tactic.

After, we walked around the capital with our eyes open for other AIESECers.  Sofia was the largest city that I had walked through since I arrived in Macedonia, so I was awed by the historical buildings, subway system, and the crowds of people systematically walking to and fro as they did during rush hours in Chicago.  At one point we thought we saw a group of AIESECers in the central park of Sofia, so I asked them if they were a certain group without explicitly asking them if they were AIESECers.  They were confused, I was embarrassed, so I walked away apologetically only to discover later in the conference that they were the Dutch delegation.

Taking a photo just over the border into Bulgaria

In Sofia!

McDonalds!!!







We relaxed over coffee at the only coffee shop we could find with outdoor seating (a different McDonalds), and after a couple hours, made our way back to the train station so that we could meet the other delegates and the organized transport in front of the Alexandar Nevski church.  When we arrived at the bus station, we met other delegates for the first time, two AIESECers from Poland. Together, we took a cab to the church where we relaxed at a pub, meeting delegates from the Netherlands and Lithuania.  At about midnight we climbed the organized transport and started our 5-hour journey to the sea.

Aleksandar Nevski Church

Poland and Macedonia
When we arrived at our hotel at Sunny Beach on Wednesday morning, I was blown away.  Our hotel, Helena Resort, was gorgeous!  It sat right on the sea and had more than three swimming pools, a spa center, a delicious buffet, etc.  I knew that we would not have the opportunity to explore the area, include nearby historic Nessebar, because our days would be packed with sessions for AIESEC.  However, I was excited that we could enjoy our conference in the comfort of a resort.  Unfortunately, as we arrived, we were unable to check into our rooms or eat, so many of us took an hour journey to hike to the nearest mini market to purchase some food for lunch and breakfast.  By 12:30PM, the conference started, and most delegates were showered, fed, and ready for the sessions.

The first day, which was titled “Youth to Business” was not very interesting, so overall the first day was a bit disappointing.  However, the first day was also our opportunity to start meeting the delegates from other countries.  The largest delegations (including over 70 from the Netherlands, over 50 from Germany, and over 25 from France) were difficult to crack since it would be easier for them to stay together with those they knew and spoke the same language.  For me, I easily connected with the smaller delegations from Portugal, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, and the LC from Munich.  At the end of the first night, we had a Global Village where we showcased our national foods and performed our entities’ “Roll Calls”, which are organized dances that each entity developed for seminars like these.

The second day started all of the practical and emotional sessions that would help us shape our Local Committees for the better.  The theme for the sessions were, we are Generation 2015, and the success of AIESEC relied on goals set in an international conference to realize about 135,000 exchanges in the 2014-2015 period.  This meant that we were expected to bring drastic improvements to all of our LCs in order to accomplish these lofty goals.

Arriving at the Black Sea at 5AM

Our hotel!!!

Representing at Global Village
It is impossible (and probably very dull) to give a play-by-play account of all of the sessions and days that we attended throughout the seminar.  But I do want to describe the overall format of the seminar.  Basically, the way that AIESEC seminars are organized is (and I use this adverb intentionally) fucking genius.  First, the participants are deprived of sleep because of travel, jet lag, and sessions that last until about 8PM at night, with each day followed by a party.  So on average, each participant accomplishes only 3-4 hours of sleep each day.  Informational sessions that create the benchmark for the goals of the organization are mixed with emotional sessions, so periods of crying are often entailed by sessions of motivation to accomplish universal tasks.  Before most sessions, students are encouraged to energize themselves by participating in the roll calls, which requires them to dance in sync with strangers from other countries.  Finally, each night is concluded with a party, where students can drown themselves in alcohol and drunkenly share their motivational ideas with others.

So yes, in a way the seminar is like a sect meeting.  However, nothing of what is mentioned here is mandatory.  People are not forced to cry or dance.  One is not required to drink or attend a party, and one can enjoy 8 hours of sleep each night if one tries.  Overall, people are not touched by some higher force or Jedi mind tricks, but are instead inspired by the stories and dreams of other individual members.  We took out of this meeting so much because we believe in the central goal of AIESEC organization and what each individual member can accomplish- to make the world a more peaceful place and to develop young leaders.

I finally understand why AIESEC is important to the world.  Even though it has lofty goals for peace and leadership, it pursues these goals in a practical way (the organization was created by economists, so of course it is practical).  In order for the world to change, people need to change.  So AIESEC focuses on giving young people the opportunity to gain skills and experiences by going abroad on exchanges provided by AIESEC.  Through these exchanges they meet new cultures and enjoy life-changing experiences so that they can change the way they impact their society or lead their life.

Even if the seminar is “sect-like”, at least it tries to change young people’s mind with good attitudes and ideas about society.  In a way, AIESEC is the entity that fights the cult of everyday life.  Everyday, people are bombarded with ideas that money is all powerful, poverty will always exist, wars will continue, certain people are a certain way so racism is fine, and that somebody should not try to change the world because the power of one is nothing on a planet of over 7 billion people.  We are grinded down by the consensual belief that we should only care for ourselves, because it would be impossible to change the world.  But AIESEC shows that when the power of one spreads across members in an LC, LCs in a country, and countries across the world, real change can be accomplished. 

This seminar was truly inspirational for me, and in many ways changed my outlook on life.  I am motivated to make a change in my organization.  Even though Peace Corps had cautioned us volunteers to water down our expectations for our organization due to cultural reasons, I feel that I can finally implement drastic changes to AIESEC Prilep because our organizations primary culture is that of AIESEC.  And even if I fail to make a change, even on such a microscopic level as Prilep, at least I made friendships with people from all over the world.


Americans at the Conference
For some of you it may be sickening to hear so me gush about how inspired I feel after a mere 5 days of conference.  For some you may doubt the resiliency of my passion.  But I feel like I learned enough practical ideas to make some real changes for my organization, and I have been motivated enough to keep pushing forward when the forces of change no longer persist.  This seminar was the best experience I could undertake at this point in my service, and I really hope that I can transfer what I learned from this conference to my organization and all of the members.


If you want to see a movie that I created for my local committee, feel free to watch it on Youtube!


No comments:

Post a Comment