Tuesday, May 6, 2014

A Bit Too Integrated?

So about two weeks ago when I was at the AIESEC seminar in Bulgaria (wow, I cannot believe time has flown by so fast since), I was called out on some things that were not quite ‘Merican.  While living in Macedonia for about 8 months I assumed that I had adapted some Macedonian ways of life as habits.  But I never really noticed how I have changed since Macedonians will single out their own habits practiced by me, and the other American PCVs have probably adapted these habits too. 

But after spending a few days eating, talking, and traveling with people from other countries in Europe and the Middle East, my Macedonian practices definitely stood out to them.  My realization of these differences was reinforced by my conversations with other Southeastern Europeans, ie. those from Bulgaria, Croatia, and Slovenia. 

So posted below are the notable examples of how I have adapted to the Macedonian way of life.

1. On the first day of the seminar, the first meal provided to us was dinner.  Since most people did not have the opportunity to enjoy breakfast or lunch, everybody was ravenous so there was a long queue to the dining room.  Since the seminar took place in a luxury resort, the food was served in a buffet style.  After waiting near the end of the long line, I piled my plate high with salad, cheese, eggs, and poached fish (which I had not been able to enjoy in Macedonia since fish is so expensive here).  Content with the diversity of food available to me, I proceeded to my seat to discover that there were OTHER STATIONS from which we can take food.  I instantly returned to the line to warn them that there were more options in other stations.  However, I instantly became embarrassed as they gave me the blank look that basically said, “Duh, this is just the salad bar.” 

Usually we have a lack of options in Macedonia, so I had to remind myself that even in the US I am used to multiple stations during buffets.  I ate as much salad and poached fish as I could before I selected some better-cooked fish.


2. One day during dinner, I took a few slices of pizza and poured ketchup on them.  As soon as I sat to eat my pizza, a delegate from the Netherlands commented, “You can tell he is from across the Atlantic.  Americans put their condiments on everything they eat.”

Now, it is true that we Americans have a maybe-slightly unhealthy obsession with sauces, especially when eating fast food like chicken wings or French fries.  But I had never in the US put ketchup on my pizza.  This is something that I learned while living in Macedonia since pizza here either has no sauce or a thin layer of ketchup between the crust and cheese.  I rebutted that this is actually a Macedonian thing, to put ketchup on pizza, but I do not think that I convinced him.

3. On our return trip from the Black Sea to Sofia, we stopped at a rest stop along the highway to pick up some snacks and to use the restrooms.  After I bought a bag of trail mix, I offered some to all of the delegates surrounding me before eating some myself.  One of the Portuguese delegates asked me why I was being so polite and sharing all of my food, and I had to explain to her (and partly remind myself) that it is good Macedonian custom to offer snacks or candy to your group before eating them yourself. 


4. Now, most of these customs that I had adapted relate to food, but the singular Macedonian custom pertained to our breaks.  As soon as a session ended, I would immediately go outside to hang out with all of the smokers.  I still do not smoke myself, and I did my best to avoid the second-hand smoke.  But from my experience at MILDS, I was used to relaxing and chatting with delegates outside while they smoked. Most delegates from other countries did not smoke, so I am not sure what they did on their breaks.  But I partly worry that many of the other delegates will associate AIESEC Macedonia with chain smoking.  However, even if they mentally establish that connection, they would not be far from the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment