Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pathogens

Today I did something that I thought I would never do- I went to the Peace Corps office in Skopje for a medical visit.  For those of you who know me well may know that I am not a fan of doctors.  I get sick often, but it is usually with the cold or flu, and only rest and time can help me get better.  Yet, for the past three weeks I have been sick with cold-like symptoms, and I was not sure why.  I personally blamed this on the “Balkan Virus”.  I had heard from others (including PCVs and country nationals) that they had caught a disease with cold-like symptoms that lasted for a month.  Therefore, dealing with this unknown disease prompted me to contact Peace Corps for a quick check-up on my health.

Actually, I have had more health problems in the Peace Corps than I thought I would.  It seemed to me that Macedonia had health risks similar to that of the United States. For example, there are no issues with malaria or yellow fever.  The vaccinations I was required to receive before leaving the states were mostly boosters of vaccines I had when I was younger.  I figured that I would not likely be much more sick than I usually am in the United States.  But I was wrong.  I have been sick 4 times since coming to Macedonia- three times with cold-like symptoms and once with the flu (despite receiving a flu shot from PC).  Before moving to PST, Peace Corps issued us a large medical kit.  I thought to myself, “This is just extra baggage!  I do not need to carry this with me to site.  I will never use the items in this box.”

By the end of PST, I had used almost half of the items in the box, including
1. Pseudophedrine (for my colds)
2. Throat Lozenges
3. Ibuprofen (stuffed nose)
4. Anti-itch cream (from the scratches I received from hiking through the brush to Bogoslovec)
5. Anti-fungal cream (for athlete’s foot from running)
6. Anti-diarrhea tablets (flu)
7. Bug Spray
8. Bandage and antiseptic (for my host nephew who cut himself)

Below is a picture of the PC kit plus the medicine I picked up today from the office.

PC Meds!
So what was the diagnosis regarding this “Balkan Virus”?  I have mild bronchitis in my left lung.  I was definitely shocked by this announcement.  My health had never really failed me in the States, but in the Peace Corps fashion it is starting to unravel here in Macedonia.  Overall, there are many reasonable explanations for getting bronchitis.  I caught a cold (for the third time in 3 months? Ok, maybe no explanation for that), and it was then further irritated by all of the cigarette smoke (my host family smokes, as do many young people when we hang out) and the pollution (see previous post from December).  Such irritants can cause an infection in the lungs, which causes the mucus membranes in the lungs to become inflamed and filled with thicker mucus.

The silver lining in all of this is the great care I received from the Peace Corps.  Upon hearing that my sickness had not subsided after 2 weeks, the doctors called me in for tests.  My bus ticket and lunch will be reimbursed by the PC (don’t worry, tax payers, the total price was less than $15) and after the check-up and diagnosis, I received so much free medicine!  More pseudophedrine, throat lozenges, two different brands of cough syrups, vitamins, and antibiotics in case the infection becomes bacterial.  The level of medical care here is beyond satisfactory and really makes me re-think doctors.  I knew there was nothing the doctor could do for me if it was a viral infection, but decided to make the trip because my stock of pseudophedrine was finished.  Back in the States, I am sure that if I had visited the doctor’s office for the same reason, I would have waiting longer to see the doctor, and upon receiving the same diagnosis, would be told to rest and purchase pseudophedrine on my own.  I do not understand why doctors in America do not give over-the-counter drugs to patients free as prescriptions.  We are already paying so much for medical insurance, and a free box of aspirin or cough syrup is the least a doctor can do to affect the recovery of a patient from a viral infection.

So, after my check-up I was able to chat with the Director of Peace Corps Macedonia for some time (she is amazing!).  After, I met a few other volunteers who were in the capital and enjoyed their company over burritos and wine. 


After being sick for three weeks on end, I have decided to try to get on with my life.  I do not want to sit at home all of the time and miss out on opportunities and experiences that occur every day in Macedonia.  I have two years to take it easy, but I will make sure to drink plenty of fluids and get a full night’s rest in the short-term.

1 comment:

  1. You never know what you'll encounter overseas, so getting vaccinated prior to your volunteer work is a good idea. But sometimes those aren't enough, and you can still get sick from stronger or variant strain. If there's any consolation, you're getting some top-notched care while in Macedonia, which should be a relief for you. Let's hope that you serve out the rest of your time there free of sickness! Take care!

    Karina Rheaume @ U.S. Healthworks, Everett (Paine Field)

    ReplyDelete