Friday, January 24, 2014

Care Packages

There is nothing more appreciated in the Peace Corps world than an aptly timed care package.  That is what happened to me today.  To put it bluntly, this week was sort of a struggle, but not in a terrible way.  Starting Monday, my disease had a resurgence after a week of improvement.  When I called the Peace Corps medical staff, they advised that I take antibiotics since it is likely an infection.  I am pretty sure I have a sinus infection this time, and luckily I took antibiotics home with me during my visit to the Peace Corps office earlier this month.  So hopefully in time I will start to become better again. 

Also impacting me this week was the late payment from the Peace Corps (well, technically not late, but we usually expect to be paid on the 20th of each month. Peace Corps will not pay us until this Monday, most likely).  Thus I have been cutting back my spending or using my personal money to get through these final days. I have had the bare minimum of food in my flat all week, and I only purchase items little by little.

Well, luckily I will not starve because the package that on of my best friends, Angela Hwangpo, sent me had finally arrived.  It was a heavy one, weighing at 21 pounds, but luckily it was rather cheap to claim and it contained all of the foodstuffs necessary to get me through the next few weeks.  It had vast packets of udon soup with noodles to accompany, protein powder (vanilla flavored!), Asian tea, salsa and nacho cheese, gummy bears, Airborn tablets, crackers, spices, ramen, and spiced nuts.  I was so elated! 

The care package from my friend, Angela

Goodies galore!
The first package that arrived was from my friend, Christian Dabney, who sent me hot cocoa for the holiday season.  I shared the hot chocolate with my host family, and they enjoyed it very much!  My mother also said she sent a package, but I have not yet received it.  It may have gotten lost in the abyss, possibly due to all of the fog and pollution that grounded many flights during December.

So the following may be futile for those who decide not to send anything.  While I would love for a care package to arrive everyday, I understand that it takes time and a prayer to send care packages to volunteers in the Peace Corps.  Believe me, I had friends in the Peace Corps, and as well as my intentions were to send them anything, I never did…  Sending a care package is like a gamble, and the only winner is me.  The heavier or more tantalizing the package is, the greater the chance that it will not arrive to me.  However, if anyone back home wants to send anything to me, please heed the following tips:

1. Don’t send money!  It will be stolen
2. Send the package with the US Postal Service.  Sending the package through any courier will be super expensive (maybe not DHL, I don’t know, but we have their services in Prilep)
3. Request a tracking number for the package.  You can update me on its progress
4. On the customs form, do not list a value price higher than $10.  The Macedonian government will tax and surely open anything higher than $20
5. When listing the items on the customs box, list very boring items, like used clothes (sweaters, socks), family photos, or foreign-sounding food (tortilla, marmalade, udon)
6. Take items out of their original packaging, if possible, and remove any price tags
7. Wrap everything safely, using Ziploc bags if possible, especially if the it is liquid or contained in glass
8. Send a list of items in the box and/ or by email.  Despite the lack of surprise, I will then know if anything was taken or is missing from the original contents.
9. Don’t send anything too heavy!  Sometimes the post office here will charge a hefty price to recover a heavier item.  Another volunteer paid $75 to recover a package with a sweater.  Luckily, I only paid $6 for the 21-pound package my friend had sent
10. You can always send a letter, and then many of these tips will not apply

So what are some items that I would be thrilled to see in a care package?

1. Sriracha Sauce!
2. Cilantro seeds (for growing, not for cooking)
3. 3X5 flash cards
4. Lip balm (any of your favorite)
5. NyQuil Gel Caps
6. Mad Libs
7. Taco Seasoning Packets
8. Your favorite kitchen utensil (whisk, spatula, grater, knife, etc)
9. A book you just finished reading
10. Any map, poster, or picture that you would like me to hang up on one of my walls!

Finally, you can send any care packages directly to me!  Below is my address:

CHRISTOPHER QUINTOS
PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER
KUZMAN JOSIFOVSKI PITU 215
PRILEP
MACEDONIA, REPUBLIC OF


And if you do not send me anything, do not worry.  I expect nothing from anyone and am happy enough that you read this blog, learn about Macedonia and the Peace Corps, and keep me updated with your lives. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh! Thanks for the Don’ts. My sister will not listen to me. She was thinking about sending money to granny with meds via medical courier Dallas. But I thought that to be a stupid idea. What if the money goes missing? It’s going to be a huge loss then. Good you added this post, I will show this to her.

    ReplyDelete