Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving and Swearing-In

Peace Corps mentions that the lifetime of the average volunteer has highs and lows throughout service. These past two days have been incredibly amazing for me, and I can say that I am finally a Peace Corps Volunteer (and not a trainee).

Yesterday, the families of Lozovo joined the trainees in celebrating the great American holiday of Thanksgiving!  For once I felt like a master in the kitchen as I slaved over a hot stove while my host mother watched and laughed at my concoctions. 

For Thanksgiving the USA ships two American turkeys for each training community to enjoy (sorry, American tax-payers, but however much you paid for those turkeys definitely had their worth and were appreciated here!).  Once the turkeys were thawed, we sent them to the motel to be cooked by the staff there.  All trainees and families were tasked to make side dishes to accompany the turkeys, which in my mind resembles even more the spirit of the first Thanksgiving.  Therefore, the table was filled with a smorgasbord of American and Macedonian cuisine.

What did I decide to make?  1. Macaroni and cheese with bacon, squash, and leeks and my favorite food to eat 2. Lumpia!  The morning was spent making the dough for the lumpia (aka spring roll wrappers).  This involved smearing the dough on the hot pan, and then lifting the wrappers from the pan with my fingers.  Not only was I holding dough for an hour straight, but I am pretty sure that I burned my fingerprints off from my left index finger and thumb.  I concurrently made my macaroni and cheese, which was stuffed with the best ingredients possible (squash, leeks, and bacon).  I would not have been able to cook both dishes without the help of Emily and my host mother.

Afterwards, all of the trainees and families headed to the motel to feast.  We all sat for a while until the turkeys were ready.  They were cooked almost to perfection, as both were butterflied to speed up the cooking process.  After we were all stuffed from dinner, some families thought it would be a great idea to dance the oro around the table.  This is where the cultural lesson of Thanksgiving was lost on the people of Macedonia.  Never have I moved so much after a Thanksgiving dinner, but it was definitely a blast!

Today, we all left our communities and left for Kumanovo to swear in as official Peace Corps volunteers.  Some of us had some jitters, but maybe Brit and I had the most since the other trainees selected us to represent the group by giving the speech in Macedonian and Albanian.  We were honored to give the speech on their behalf, and we worked for the past week writing the speech, translating it, and practicing it.  While I had translated the speech on my own, my Macedonian instructors also had a translated copy ready, which was much better.  Therefore, all of my thanks are devoted to them!

The ceremony was attended by our current and future host families, our counterparts, the Peace Corps staff, the US ambassador, and representatives of the Macedonian government.  Throughout the ceremony, we sang both the American and Macedonian anthems, heard speeches from the new Peace Corps Director for Macedonia, and recited the oath to become volunteers.  Interestingly, the oath we recited was the same as that recited by ambassadors and the president of the United States!  We hope to serve our country with the highest honor possible.

Following the ceremony, a Macedonian news network wanted to interview me.  I had no idea what the context was, so I basically said that I was happy in Macedonia and that I loved learning the language.  You can watch me stumble through the embedded video provided in the link below.



Tonight I enjoy my last day in Lozovo, and I leave for a bus to Prilep early tomorrow morning.  I know that I am going to miss Lozovo, my host family here, the other (recently sworn-in) volunteers, and all that this part of Macedonia has to offer.  Luckily, I plan to return soon for Macedonian Christmas (Божиќ).

I have plenty of pictures to share, but I think I will add them to another post since I have so many.

No comments:

Post a Comment