Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Running Out of Thyme in Lozovo


In many ways, for me today felt like the final day of training in Lozovo.  Tomorrow we will celebrate Thanksgiving with our families at the motel, and I will probably spend most of my free time tomorrow cooking and packing for my new home.  Thus, today marked the last “normal” day in Lozovo, yet it was anything but.

First of all, I woke up pleasantly surprised to find that the snow had stuck on the ground.  Lozovo was covered in winter wonderland, and I was thrilled to see my training community with a new cover. 

Morning of the first snowfall in Lozovo


Today also marked our last day of class for Macedonian language, and today the students were responsible for teaching the class. Since we had finished the assigned textbook about a week ago, we steered away from a formal lesson and decided to translate a song.  The song?  “I Want It that Way” by the Backstreet Boys.  Yup. 

It would not have been Lozovo if we stopped there.  After translating the song, we decided to sing and film the performance.  Props to Ted for finding the perfect song to translate, and props to Ksenija for filming our debut hit in Macedonia!  (To see the performance, follow the link below!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMMVst_fUfI&feature=youtu.be

After class, Ted and I decided to search for herbs, to be used tomorrow for our Thanksgiving dishes, in the nearby fields and forests surrounding Lozovo.  We took a long walk with Emily and Dan, trudging through mud, in order to find thyme in the forest (for my mac and cheese!) and sage near the creek (for Ted's stuffing).

Looking for those herbs


Here I am now, watching Turkish films with my host mother while simultaneously practicing my speech that I will present during Swearing-In on Friday.  I look forward to my new site, but I will be sad to miss all that I have come to love here in Lozovo.


No comments:

Post a Comment