Wednesday, December 17, 2014

An Overdue Update

Holy-moly.  I originally planned to use the more vulgar term, but I usually do not like to leave a paper trail of my profanity.  However, no other phrase can better preface all that has passed within the past month or so.  Inactivity from this blog probably indicated how busy I have been, and this post breaks that silence as well as foretells a (hopefully) less busy period.

These past weeks have been stressful, and not in the usual Peace Corps way.  This stress is more familiar, with deadlines and plenty of moving parts that make life an ordeal of living on a prayer and burning the midnight candle.  However, there were a few holiday parties that we celebrated that I failed to mention these past weeks, since they were nothing more than PCVs celebrating American holidays in some apartment.  However, I will present a short recap on all that has passed during the early part of December.

Corporate Sponsorship
Toward the end of November, I joined another PCV (Cindy from Bitola) on a corporate sponsorship ask at a company in Prilep.  As the Finance Coordinator for the Young Men’s Leadership Program, my main concern regarding the camp should be finding money to support the camp.  However, as grant resources from the US Embassy seem to dry up (at least for already financed and/or camp-based projects), Cindy (who works with YMCA in Bitola as the NGO managing YMLP) has decided to pursue corporate sponsorship to help fund YMLP and GLOW (the women’s version of the camp).

Overall she has been very successful in leading the charge.  But she invited me to an appointment with a company in Prilep (I will not name which one, but it is known for its snacks and sweets in Macedonia).  Even though I have some experience asking for donations or partnerships with alumni or companies while working for Admissions or Career Advancement at UChicago,  I never asked for money on behalf of a project, so I decided to stay silent and observe, at least until Cindy did her thing.  After the company agreed to donate more than we had expected, I finally used my Prilep dialect to talk up the CEO of the company, who softened up quite a bit and seemed to warm even more toward the project.  This experience was definitely exhilarating, and even though I never thought of development (fundraising) as an attractive career, having a meeting with a CEO of a foreign company was definitely a rewarding experience.

Dream Team Project
At our In-Service Training in April, Peace Corps assigned all volunteers and their counterparts to create a Dream Team project.  While it is not very clear why we needed to accomplish this, I assume that this initiative would facilitate collaboration with our counterparts, and the video or presentation produced from this collaboration would serve as marketing material for Peace Corps Macedonia.

AIESEC Prilep decided to submit its I Promise project as the Dream Team project.  Even though I collected content in September while the interns were still here, a combination of procrastination and lack of time resulted in me submitting our video right on the deadline.  Provided below is the Youtube link of the video that summarizes the success of I Promise.


Thanksgiving
While last year’s Thanksgiving was momentous in many ways (as I scoured the forest for herbs, cooked a large dish of macaroni and cheese and squash, and ended the holiday dancing the oro with my training community), this year was a lot more subtle.  Many PCVs gathered in Bitola for Thanksgiving on Saturday, since it is forbidden for PCVs to leave site during the week.  I started the day at the faculty painting our new office.  The color is not the greatest, and I first thought it was a silly idea given how busy all of us were with our various projects.  However, the work really brought the AIESEC Prilep members together.  After being covered in blue and white specs, I rushed to a bus to Bitola, made simple dish of curried Brussels sprouts, and sat, ate, and drank on the floor for probably 8 hours.  As one volunteer mentioned that night, the PCVs in Macedonia ought to be thankful for how small the country is, since getting together for an American holiday like this becomes that much easier.







Preparing my curried Brussels sprouts for T-G dinner

Festivities in Ohrid
Since the MAK18s who live in Ohrid have birthdays very close to each other in early December, they invited us again to the carbon-copied version of Birthdays and Holidays celebration at their place.  The night of celebrations involved, just like last year, gathering for homemade food, various drinking games, and a secret Santa gift exchange (in my opinion, the most creative gift was two bottles, one filled with tequila, the other with water from a river that flows through Kumanovo).  Luckily, I was able to include some business with this trip, as I presented AIESEC’s new internship database to the university students studying in Ohrid.  Ohrid’s weather was very gorgeous that weekend, and I reveled in the ability to read for about an hour at Kaneo (the emblematic church in Ohrid) in a meditative silence absent of any tourists.

Reading outside on the lake in December- PC Macedonia perk

Post-Secret Santa Exchange

AIESEC Work
The most stressful part of these past few weeks has been managing the work with AIESEC.  All of our members have been busy learning their new functional areas or organizing Career Directions, a seminar that was hosted on December 12-14 for students in Prilep.  Members implemented their skills in business development, marketing, graphic design, and presentation skills to make the seminar a success.


Besides helping with this seminar or working with the applicants interested in going on an internship through AIESEC, I have also been writing a grant proposal for AIESEC Prilep’s next seminar, Leadership Inspirational Seminar, which will occur at the beginning of March (if we receive the funds).  I will discuss each individual project within the next few posts, but our goal to take AIESEC Prilep to the next level has given our membership a worthwhile, albeit stressful, experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment