Sunday, March 2, 2014

Posh Corps

Before I left for the Peace Corps, I embarked on a series of trips throughout the United States to see my closest friends for the last time before I started my service.  During my stop in NYC, I remember hanging out with two of my best friends, Roshan and Chad, while we were at a bar.  When they thought I was out of earshot, I caught them saying to each other “of all of the places for him to be placed, Chris is going to have it easy living in Europe, in his own apartment, with internet, indoor plumbing, etc.”  That was about 6 months ago, and I was a few beers deep, so obviously I could not remember what they said verbatim, but the gist of what they were discussing had a point.  I was assigned to a country that many other PCVs called “Posh Corps.”  What makes a country “Posh Corps”?  Accessibility to such items as indoor plumbing, reliable internet and plumbing, modern supermarkets, scheduled modes of transportation, and an absence of exotic diseases like malaria and yellow fever are some factors that contribute to making one’s experience in a Peace Corps country more “posh” than the experience in other countries.  Eventually, independent filmmakers and PCVs will release a documentary addressing the experience of “Posh Corps”.  To see a trailer of the movie, access the link below.


Now of course, as I describe the idea of “Posh Corps”, many people would naturally respond “Well, any Peace Corps volunteer serving in a country in Europe is going to have an easier time.  It’s Western Civilization, so the challenges continent-wide naturally will be less basic than the needs of the people in the countries of Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Oceania.”  Before I started my service here, I thought the same as well.  I was mentally preparing myself for service in a country where I could make the biggest impact, but I was “unfortunate” enough to be placed in a country where people were not struggling to make ends meet.  As we progressed through the first week of PST, Peace Corps assuaged our worries about being in Southeast Europe by saying that the “problems” here were different than those in other continents.  For example, in some countries, volunteers may be building a well.  Currently, I am working to create online promotions through Photoshop.  Even though the problems are unique, building a well will more often receive a bigger pat on the back than the latter project.

As recent events have shown, these caveats about the unique problems in our host countries have proven true.  As those who keep up with the news know, Ukraine has succumbed to protests in the capital, and the president of Ukraine has fled, leaving much of the national government in flux.  Due to the protests and lack of stability in the country, the 200 PCVs currently serving in Ukraine have been evacuated (see below for the official link).  And the issues that led to this terrible situation are ubiquitous throughout the region- corruption, ethnic tensions, graft, etc.  I do not believe that Macedonia is heading toward the fate of Ukraine anytime soon, but the major issues in both countries are not very different.


Reflecting on the “Posh Corps” label, I decided to undergo my own research to see how Macedonia ranked in terms of poverty when compared to other Peace Corps countries.  I have a friend/ college classmate who is currently serving in Botswana, and I decided to compare both of countries.  For comparison’s sake, both countries were luckily similar in some demographics.  Both are landlocked countries, and while Botswana is much larger than Macedonia, both have about the same population (Botswana had a population of 2.03 million in 2011, and Macedonia had a population of 2.06 million in 2011).  However, the GDP (nominal) of Botswana is certainly higher than Macedonia’s ($16 billion per year compared to Macedonia’s $10 billion per year).  Since the cost of living is much lower than that of Macedonia, at PPP the citizens of Botswana are more than 4 times richer than the citizens of Macedonia (when measured in GDP per capita). 

Of course, much of the economy of Botswana relies on mining, so the income gap among the people of Botswana is most likely wide.  However, a current comparison of the two countries cannot be made.  While the Gini coefficient of Macedonia in 2008 was 44.2 (even lower, or with better income equality, than the income gap in of the USA!), Botswana’s Gini coefficient measured at 63 in 1994.  This is one of the highest Gini coefficients on record, but much has probably changed in the past 20 years.  Finally, PCVs in Botswana probably face issues volunteers in Eastern Europe never face, including debilitating diseases and serious natural disasters.

I was definitely surprised by the numbers that I found when comparing the two countries.  It is likely that some of the host families with which the PCVs are living with in Botswana are moderately richer than the families in Macedonia.  Of course, I do not know what it is like to live in Botswana, but if the equality in Botswana has approached that of Macedonia, then volunteers there are probably addressing the same issues that we are, including institution building, youth development, health awareness, and education.  Overall, this comparison is made to show a PCV’s experience may be similar across regions.  It also shows that, although continents like Africa and South America may seem more dire, certain countries on continents like Europe can all of a sudden fall apart (as Ukraine did). 


In the end, I am fully aware that my experience here is more posh than in other host countries.  But PCVs would not be here unless we were wanted and needed.  And sometimes us PCVs need to remind ourselves that it is not only the volunteers who sleep under mosquito nets or bathe in rivers who make the most impact.  Some volunteers increase their neighbors’ life expectancy by increasing health standards, helping to build infrastructure, and introducing basic technologies to a community.  Other volunteers improve the quality of life by improving attitudes and institutions that underline democracy, gender equality, youth development, capital markets, and efficiency.  I am finally beginning to understand the different challenges that my host country faces, even if they are more “posh” than those of other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment