Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Среќна Нова Година 2014

So while Christmas has not yet come to Macedonia, the New Year is at our doorstep.  The New Year’s celebration is kind of a big deal in Macedonia.  Children are going crazy lighting fire crackers each day.  Adults are busy shopping in preparation for a large dinner.  Many Macedonians are leaving the country and heading to places like Athens, Sarajevo, Belgrade, Istanbul, or Podgorica to celebrate in style.  As for us youngsters- we are ready to bring in the New Year at clubs, cafes, and discothèques across Macedonia. 

New Year’s is the most anticipated holiday in all of Macedonia.  Youths, no matter where they come from, make a scene out of the holiday.  Many would not be caught celebrating in an outfit that is not new.  Most buy a package similar to that in the US, where “unlimited” food and drinks are provided all night long.  So, as one can imagine, the expectations and bill for a night of fun during New Year’s Eve can be kind of high.  What probably contributes most to this extravagance is the fact that New Year’s is the first of a string of holidays.  I found that in America most people are too worried about Christmas shopping and decorations to start thinking of their New Year’s plans before December 24.  Here in Macedonia, New Year’s Eve is not preceded by any major holiday, and thus students can start thinking of how they would like to celebrate as soon as they begin procrastinating their studies for tests.

In a way, I do not blame them for the hubbub that is created around this holiday.  Admittedly, New Years is my favorite holiday of the year.  Many people think that everybody hypes New Years’ celebrations and searches for the perfect experience, and I happen to agree with this as well.  I would be happy celebrating the holiday in an apartment surrounded by friends.  Personally, New Year’s Eve is a day I set aside to reflect on the year before, take stock of my experiences, and ponder on the potential progress as I look forward to the next.  In a way, New Year’s Eve is an important personal mile marker, and there is nothing I would like more than to celebrate the end of a year with good company.  This year I will be celebrating New Year’s Eve with some EVS volunteers and Macedonians (but no Americans) at a local café called Excalibur

Given how much importance I personally impose on the holiday, last New Year’s Eve was definitely a disappointment for me.  While I was able to celebrate my last New Year’s Eve in America (for a while) with my best friends in NYC, I also spent the whole night hunched over a toilet bowl due to an acute onset of the stomach flu (the bug first hit at 8PM, and I was throwing up all night as my friends partied in the next room).  I did not welcome 2013 well, but little did I know that, beyond a few stumbles toward the end of the year, 2013 would end up being filled with wonderful experiences and would arguably be the turning point in my life.  Receiving my invitation for the Peace Corps and learning that I would be a Community Economic Development volunteer in Macedonia was one of the happiest moments I experienced, for as long as I can remember.  Of course, the close of the year became worrisome for me as my father was sent to the hospital for months (he is still there).  But he is recovering strongly, further giving proof that 2013 continues to bring good news, even if trouble occurs.

So below I am posting pictures in remembrance of the most momentous experiences from the past year.  (Sorry, this turned from a Macedonian cultural post to a personal reflection, but it’s my blog so I guess I can do what I want!).  I wish my family, friends and future PCVs a happy New Year.  I look forward to the year ahead, but it will be more fun if I try to top the amazing experiences from the past year.

Robin's Wedding in India!

Sitting around the Tea Fields in Munar
Ultra in Miami 

Meeting my first Macedonian at EDC NY 
Wedding in Savannah

The newlyweds in Savannah

Christian visiting Chicago

SOOOOOO many 90s nights

My partner in crime at BSB Concert
Fishing for crabs in Vashon, WA

My going away party with my mom

The Quintos side of the family

Arriving in Lozovo

Cleaning up Lozovo

Climbing Bogoslovec

Partying at Zheleznichkata Stanitsa
With the AIESEC EB at the Fakultet

No comments:

Post a Comment