Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Site Announcements


On Wednesday and Thursday, the permanent sites for the MAK18s were revealed.  This day came with much anticipation, as we would finally discover where we would live and what we would do for the next two years.  I tried my best to temper my excitement, since we will continue to live in our training sites until the end of November.  However, since the sites were revealed to us, it has been very difficult to contain my excitement.

FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS, I WILL LIVE IN PRILEP AND WORK FOR AN ORGANIZATION CALLED AIESEC AT THE PRILEP FACULTY (UNIVERSITY) OF ECONOMICS.

When I discovered my placement, I was very ecstatic.  AIESEC is an international student organization that facilitates transfers across the globe.  Many Americans are aware of the organization since it has a few operations in the US as well.  My counterparts will be college students, so I am mentally preparing myself to working with younger folks for the next 2 years.  Everyone in Macedonia has told me great things about this organization.  The PC staff who interviews the organizations that sought PC volunteers told me that she was awed by the preparation and organization of this group.  Finally, other PCVs have told me that I may be required to travel internationally for my work, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.  For a Wikipedia article on the organization, see below:


As for my new host family, I have heard only the best as well.  Olgica and Ljube are an older couple, and they have hosted a PCV before.  I will inhabit the second floor with my own kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and common area.  Thus, even though I am technically living in a homestay, I will basically have my own apartment for the next two years.  I am beyond excited to cook for myself and have some private space. 

The city in which I will live, Prilep, has a population of about 70,000 people, and it is one of the more “medieval” looking cities in Macedonia.   The major industry in the city is the cigarette factory (I cannot seem to escape the tobacco industry in this country), and Prilep may be known for its Pivo Fest (beer fest) which takes place every year in July.  I am also lucky to live in the same city with four other amazing volunteers, one of which has been leading a few of our Community Development technical sessions, and the other who had lived with my PST family the year before!  Finally, everybody raves about the Thai restaurant in my town, which is the only Thai restaurant in Macedonia.

If you think that I am the luckiest volunteer, you may be right, and you may be wrong.  Other volunteers living in Lozovo have had perfect matches for their site placements as well.  Vatche, the small-business guru, will work for the Financial Bureau in Veles, Ted will work at a zoo in Bitola (not too far from me!), two volunteers were placed in or near the capital (Skopje), and one volunteer was placed in the gem of Macedonia, Ohrid.  I have the utmost respect for Peace Corps, as it seems that they had worked very hard to match our skills and interests to our site placements with the finest precision.  On Hub Day, we spent our first hour celebrating our site placements and putting our clip-art pictures onto a map of Macedonia.  It was a fun event, and Peace Corps put in a lot of effort to help us celebrate in style.

A map of all of the MAK18 site placements

PC made us custom candy! 
Prilep!


Knowing where I will live for the rest of my service, I feel much more relaxed, but simultaneously pumped.  I look forward to being surrounded by Economics students and professors, and I look forward to nerdy conversations about Micro and Macro, similar to those at UChicago.  Now I just need to learn how to talk about the Euler theorem, the Solow model, and other economic jargon in Macedonian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment